Difference Between a Compliance Certificate and a Safety Check Report

Compliance Certificates vs Safety Check Reports

When it comes to property management, ensuring that your property complies with safety regulations is crucial. Two essential documents in this process are the compliance certificate and the safety check report. While they may seem similar, they serve different purposes and are not interchangeable.

What is a Compliance Certificate?

A compliance certificate certifies that a specific type of work has been completed by a licensed tradesperson and that the work complies with the relevant regulations. This certificate ensures that the job meets all safety and quality standards set by authorities.

Types of Compliance Certificates:

For Plumbers:

For Electricians:

There are two types:

  • Prescribed Certificates: For high-risk electrical work.
  • Non-Prescribed Certificates: For low-risk electrical work.

What is a Safety Check Report?

A safety check report details the inspection and assessment of various safety aspects of a property, such as gas appliances, electrical systems, and smoke alarms. It ensures that these elements are functioning correctly and meet safety standards.

Are Compliance Certificates and Safety Check Reports Interchangeable?

No, compliance certificates and safety check reports are not interchangeable.

  • Compliance Certificates: Verify that specific work complies with regulations and is completed by a licensed professional.
  • Safety Check Reports: Ensure the ongoing safety and functionality of existing installations.

What About New Builds?

For new builds, it is common practice to treat the property as compliant from day one. However, ongoing maintenance is crucial:

  • Smoke Alarms: Checked and maintained after the first year.
  • Gas and Electrical Systems: Inspected after the first two years.

Detailed Breakdown of Compliance Certificates

Compliance Certificates for Plumbers

  • Lodging Authority: Victorian Building Authority (VBA).
  • Issued By: Licensed plumber in the relevant class of work.
  • When Required: For works costing over $750 or for any gas line works.

Compliance Certificates for Electricians

  • Lodging Authority: Energy Safe Victoria (ESV).
  • Issued By: A-grade electricians under a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).


  • Prescribed Certificates: Required for high-risk electrical work (e.g., installing a new electrical circuit).
  • Non-Prescribed Certificates: Required for low-risk electrical work (e.g., minor repairs or maintenance).

Understanding the distinctions between these documents ensures that you are meeting all regulatory requirements and maintaining the safety of your property. Always engage licensed professionals for relevant work and stay updated with periodic safety checks.

Tell us how we can help

Contact Us for immediate scheduling

If you have any questions, we are happy to answer them via phone or email. You may also contact us via our social channels.

Fill out the form and we'll get back to you immediately